About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Friday, May 11, 2018

Countdown! Seven Days Until Maker Faire.

Note:  This blog entry is posted late because I fell asleep at the keyboard last night when I was typing it.  Aside from wiping the drool off my keyboard and deleting the last sentence*, I made no other changes.

According to Forrest Gump, "Momma always says there's an awful lot you could tell about a person by their shoes."  I wonder sometimes what my work boots say about me:
Boots, a Still LIfe

In any case, it's late and the mind wanders.

Today I had a lot of help in the shop.  First, my friend Ian stopped by to get a break from his own workshop remodel.  He set to work prepping parts to mold:
Ian Prepping Minigun Parts

My assistant Chuck spent her time casting parts for the Mousers:
Chuck Casting Parts

Her sister Agatha spent some quality time smoothing out helmets:
Agatha Sanding Helmets

These two idiots were pretty much always underfoot:
Doggos at Lunch Time

And my friend Sierra spent some quality time smoothing out the Grey Knight chest:
Sierra Sanding Chest Bits

While she was working on that, I traced out the shape for the little shield for the Grey Knight's left shoulder:
Little Shield Curve 1

Little Shield Curve 2

Little Shield Drawn

Here's the prototype held in place for size:
Little Shield Test Fit

Then I gave it a few very rushed rounds of Bondo and sanding:
Sanding Little Shield

Finally, the whole thing was primed:
Little Shoulder Shield Prototype

Tiki was not impressed:
Tiki and Hei Hei

That done, I laid out the belt buckle:
Belt Buckle Layout

Cut the outline on the scroll saw:
Cutting out Buckle Outline

Shaped it a bit on the belt sander:
Shaping Belt Buckle

Added some putty and bits of plastic:
Spot Putty on Belt Buckle

Smoothed it out:
Belt Buckle Sanded

Then laid on a quick coat of primer to get it ready for molding:
Belt Buckle Sculpt Complete

Tiki was still unimpressed:
Tiki Resting

At some point in the evening, Freddy came by and made some great progress on the lower legs for the T-60.  He also tried out the stilts for the first time:
Freddy Trying Stilts
Fortunately he didn't stumble and break himself or any of the armor parts.

Somewhere early on, I also laid up the first half of the mothermold for the last two big parts of the Mousers:
Mouser Mothermolds in Progress

I should have those mothermolds finished tomorrow and hopefully the first few casts out of each mold.

Most of the Minigun parts are ready to mold too:
Minigun Parts Ready to Mold

Ian will be concentrating on setting those molds up tomorrow.

Sierra made a bit of progress on smoothing out my hand sculpt for the Grey Knight:
Untitled

That, and the weapons for the Grey Knight, is the biggest concern I have right now.  Everything else is on track to be amazing.

*If you really must know, the last sentence originally read, "I just need the dog list happenasadddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd."

No comments:

Post a Comment