About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Back to the HALO Project

I spent some time fine tuning the gauntlet prototypes. I'm not entirely happy with the way they turned out, but they'll do:
Gauntlet Prototypes

Gauntlet Prototypes2
The key thing I've been struggling with is the fine details all over these things:
Gauntlet Prototype R

The next step: Moldmaking. I started by making the first half of a 2-part box mold for the codpiece. Here's the box all stuck together with the parts in place and the clay parting line built up:
Dongle Mold2

Here I am slathering goo (silicone rubber) into the box to pick up all of the surface details:
Dongle Mold

The next step was to pour some filler into the top of the box to keep the shape, then flip it over, pull the clay off of the bottom, apply a mold release, and then repeat this process for the bottom side. It worked out pretty well, so I ended up cranking out a few castings of the codpiece:
Codpieces

I also made some basic shell molds of the other parts of the "space diaper." Here's the butt plate set in a clay bed before pouring silicone on top:
Buttplate Prepped
And here it is under rubber:
Buttplate Molded

Here are a few more of the rubber jackets poured for other belt pieces and the tricep armor:
Jackets poured

Once the rubber had cured, the next step was to build up rigid resin mothermolds to keep the rubber from flopping around once the original part was pulled out:
Mothermolds poured

Here's some castings from the shoulder and bicep molds:
Arm parts

With all the casting and making mother molds, I ran out of resin. Fortunately I've got a new shipment coming in early next week. In the meantime, I have to get back to work fairing and detailing the calf (the left and right will be interchangeable, so I only have to make and mold one prototype) and the thighs. Here they are in their current state:
Calves and Thighs

I couldn't resist the urge to test fit the thighs again:
Thigh test fit

I also had my friend Matt try on the larger size of torso armor I'm planning on making:
Large Torso Test
Large Torso Test2

All of the prototypes in progress need a lot more work. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. I loooove your sexy thigh test picture. Smoking hawt.

    :D

    ReplyDelete